Morocco: Great minds meeting
Youth Employment and Entrepreneurship for local development
Our MasterPeace Club in Morocco organized its 3rd edition of the Great Minds Meeting on the 15th and 16th of December, 2018. Under the theme “Youth employment and entrepreneurship for local development” young entrepreneurs were challenged to think creatively about local development and its challenges. The event took place in Dar Chabab Elmoukawama, Ouarzazate, and consisted of four seminars and workshops.
During the two-day workshop, four main topics were discussed: E-entrepreneurship, the Business Model Canvas, fundraising, and branding. The participants, 20 passionate youngsters, were introduced to the broad concept of entrepreneurship and how it can be a useful tool for local development.
To the idea of E-entrepreneurship, a lot of attention was given as it is currently considered to be the foundation of social growth. The youths worked together in groups on their business ideas and applied the newly gained knowledge. They were introduced to the technique of fundraising and how they can fundraise for their projects via different (online) channels. Next to this, much attention was given to their Business Model Canvas, which consist of the different steps of a project and/or business and helps to give structure to innovative project and ideas.
The participants worked individually on their own projects and were coached and provided with help to result in detailed projects with clear visions. In the end, 50 seconds were given to each participant to present their projects. The jury chose the best project idea to be a part of the African Youth Leadership Summit which will take place this year from 21st September to 25th in Marrakesh.
Ouarzazate is one of the cities in the region of Draa Tafilat, a poor region with a high rate of poverty. The need for an alternative to creating job opportunities is very much needed. This is where it comes to the Great Mind Meeting to introduce the concept of entrepreneurship and how it can help them use local materials and create their own businesses.
- Realize creative and income resource-full projects
- Offer youngsters a creative platform to think about the development of their local community
- Support entrepreneurial spirit within Ouarzazate
- Educating youngsters and give them hands-on tools for personal growth.
- Push for entrepreneurship in Ouarzazate.
- Offer a professional network to the grassroots sector in the region.
- The winning project got a full scholarship to attend the African Youth Leadership summit, where there.
- Following up with the project and offering experience and supporting the participants in anything they need.